Calendar

Important Links

Contact Us

Sunday, November 7, 2010

November Second Sunday Supper Recap

About 25 of YAGs gathered for Second Sunday Supper for November that was actually on the First Sunday. We had some good Mediterranean food from Cafe Athena brought by Andrea, and then I led a discussion on the life of Saint Stephen, the first martyr, and my patron saint. Here are the notes that I took in preparation for leading the discussion.

Who is he?
Saint Stephen is the first Christian martyr and one of the first deacons. He was stoned and ironically the patron saint of stonemasons and headaches (in Medieval times).

Why did i choose him?
He's my patron saint and I wanted to learn more about him.

The Story of Saint Stephen (Acts Chapter 6-7):
There was a division between Hellenist (Greek-speaking Jews) and Hebrews (Aramaic and Hebrew speaking Jews). The widows of the Hellenist were being neglected during the daily distribution.

The twelve asked the community to select seven men who would take on this task so that they may continue to "pray and minister the word". One of the men selected was Saint Stephen who quickly became a very charismatic preacher.

He was killed because he preached that Jesus superseded Mosaic Law and that the hearts of his people were God's dwelling place, not the Temple. His betrayal, trial, death, and even his last words were similar to Jesus:
"Lord Jesus receive my spirit. Do not hold this sin against them."

What his life tells me about how I should live my life:
Being a Christian in the early church was dangerous. People died so that one day someone like me wouldn't have to. His life tells me to live a life worthy of their sacrifice. Live a life with the same conviction and faith that he had.

Discussion topics:
In the early church the community selected the deacons (and presumably other religious leaders), do you think this could work now?

Why do people have to die before we appreciate them and their message? Does their death (usually violent) make their message stronger or is it some weakness on our part that we don't appreciate people until they are gone?

I believe martyrs can sometimes be created and used for political/personal gain (e.g. Pat Tillman). Can you think of other examples? Discuss.

- Huy

No comments:

Post a Comment